3.16.2010

Healthcare and You Part I

This morning I would like to discuss the healthcare debate. I do this for the sole reason that it is well, the elephant in the room. This is a political forum and if I were to ignore the most prevalent issue in American politics today I would simply be doing a disservice to you the reader. So bear with me as I commence with this part one of a three part civil tirade against the current healthcare bill.

First and foremost, why pass healthcare as one sweeping national initiative? The democrats would have us essentially put 1/5 of a 15 trillion dollar economy on the line and experiment with our healthcare system using at best unproven and untested methods. Don't get me wrong, US healthcare is broken. And it does need to be fixed. However this should be done incrementally and responsibly with consensus on both sides. The Democrats cannot just ram legislation with at least half of the country screaming no. Liberals are always the ones stressing the rights of the minority. Even if 40 percent of the American populace absolutely did not want this bill, would that not cause you to wait and consider what you are about to do. Again, I am not defending the Republicans either. The way they attempt to block everything is despicable. However responsibility to lead falls on the shoulders of the majority. And leadership does not mean only do what you want and do not consider, in most cases, the opinions of half the country. Leadership's keywords are compromise and pragmatic consensus, not controversy and ambiguous discord.

In order to better illustrate the situation, I will present to you the reader a scenario, and you tell me what you think. You are married. You make slightly more money than your spouse and you are considering buying a car. Now here is the question: Do you go out and buy a car without considering any concerns your spouse may have? For better or worse, the Republicans and Democrats are married. And the Democrats, currently the dominant partner in the relationship have decided to force a massive Healthcare bill, or new car, on us, the kids.

Stay tuned for Part II in which I will discuss Scott Brown and what his place is in the debate.

3 comments:

  1. I never understand why nobody suggests just doing it on the state level like in Massachusetts. There would be a lot more support, and room for experimentation to see which method performs best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why nobody suggests seriously to perform reform on the state level like they did in Massachusetts. It would have more support, save money, and get the job done. Also, it would allow for more experimentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Mitt Romney who states "the laboratories or democracy." I was gonna explore this later in the series. I completely agree with these points.

    ReplyDelete